Report from Spain
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Hi -

This are last news:

-RedIRIS. For the second half of the year (september or october, most probably), we are planing to conmemorate the opening of Spanish ATM backbone (at speeds of 34-155 Mbps) of TEN-34 project (of DG XIII European Union) with a "fiesta" in the Spanish Pavilion of Expo celebrated and transmited from diferents Universities in all country (open to public). In the other hand we are discussing the possibility to create an Spanish node for Central Park that can be managed in the future (after the Expo) by RedIRIS. I will appreciate if you can send to me information on how nodes are build in other countries.

-Some cities (Bilbao, Barcelona, Igualada) and regions (Aragon) are preparing their participation. Bilbao will present their projects for 21th century and will contribute to the Expo with information on Basque Country culture and also will open a place for the public visit of Expo. Barcelona will present their candidature for 2001 european culture capital and the celebration of Congress International Union of Architects around the Present and Futures. Architecture in Cities coinciding with the celebration of World Architecture Day on 1 July 96. I am discussing with the Centre of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona to open as a Planetarium of Cyberspace. Igualada will present their local culture and are also studing to open a public place for promote the Expo. Aragon will prepare a contribution to the Expo conmemorating the 250 years of birth universal painter Goya.

-About inmediate agenda: This week end I will attend InterMed 96, "a first conference on the Mediterranean and the global information society." State of the art of computer networks and user organizations by region (Magreb -Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Israel, ANP-, Balkans -Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovenia, Macedonia-, EU Countries -Spain, France, Italy, APC Networks-). Current projects (InterMed NIC, Education, Commercial, Civic) and debates. NET conexion are supporting this iniciative and I send to them a message inviting to participate in the fair. The event and links are announced in http://www.wsite.es/NET/agenda.htm February 8, Infopista/The Catalan Highway is organizing a local version of the event and will be covered by media. I suggest to make the link between the cyber24 site and Infopista/Catalan Highway. I am interested to send a reporter on February 8th to the project's Mission Control in San Francisco. What must we made? Book Day. We hace the agreement of Instituto de l'Audiovisual of Pompeu Fabra public university to transmit from Las Ramblas. Infopista/The Catalan Highway convinced some catalan editors to contribute to the Expo and that event giving the rights for publishing one of their catalog books to create a kind of Catalan Public Library for Internet.

Kind regards,

Josep