Does this interest you at all?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

I had an interesting call from Scott Yaeger, VP at MFS Datanet. He's one of my sponsors and has been fishing for a way to give me lots of bandwidth and make a splash. He had been hoping the congressional hearings would be an appropriate venue, but we've been fishing around for alternatives.

His main goal is making his company known to the Internet and he's also especially interested in having Sun sale reps know his stuff when they are selling high-end connectivity. I suggested the following potential scenario, which he seemed to be very enthusiastic about. I suppose we'd call this the "virtual sunsite" project. :)

He furnishes a national 10 Mbps pipe with outlets at four large archive servers (e.g., San Fran, Chicago, NY, D.C.), plus taps into his 13 sales offices. This private national LAN does two things:

1) the four large archive servers use it for data replication. That means my SEC database (in this Friday's New York Times), Internet Talk Radio, mosaic databases, etc... can easily be spread to four locations, Mirroring data could be as simple as NFS mounts. The servers are still on real networks (e.g., Barrnet, Nearnet, Alternet, and ...). It just means that when a user goes to find the data, they know its going to be on a humungous server near them.

2) Part of the bandwidth during prime time on this pipe is available for the MFS sales offices which allows for some really spectacular little demonstrations to be made by both MFS and Sun sales people (you guys get to use the facilities). You can pull up Xmosaic and pull down Internet Talk Radio and MPEG movies in real time, and make the case that this is real stuff, not some demo.

It seems to me this solves a couple of problems. One, we're having a hell of time with demo mania and I imagine all your offices are going to have this problem at some point. It also makes a real contribution to the Internet and would be really noticed by people.

Is this a project I can try and put together for you guys and MFS? I think there may be lots of mutual advantages here and I think we could have some fun as well.

Carl