File system question
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Carl,

We had few focus group sessions today which highlighted a potential problem with the way we have organized the file system. If we look at the company index, some of the companies have more than one CIK code. As the CIK code is a unique identifier for a company this cannot be valid.

On looking through the forms we identifed the reason as the following. In 13Gs and some other forms there are typically two CIK numbers and company conformed names. One pair corresponds to the acquired firm, and the other to the acquirer firm which files the document.

For example 3COM has multiple CIK entries. CIKs 315066, and 748054 correspond to mutual funds taking a position in 3COM. The other entry is 3COMs true CIK.

I think we should probably organize the file system around the "filing company".

I will begin to look at the DFDs this weekend to identify all problem filings. We need to fix the CIK scheme to reduce user confusion.

The focus groups at NYU, that were open to the public were well attended and were very useful.

Talk to you soon.

Ajit