Re: What is IMS trying to achieve?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

I support what you do, but I think you missed the point of Graeme's message. People's main concern is that bandwidth is limited right now on the MBone/Internet. Until we can increase the bandwidth for everyone, the MBone community has been trying to self-police ourselves. Graeme raises a good point in that he doesn't believe that the US Senate and House transmission is of substantial interest to people outside of the US to consume an already scarce resource.

>> Also the IMS:RT-FM channel seems to fly in the face of
>> the agreed policy of restricting "music radio" channels to Radio Free
>> Vat.
>
>Sorry, I can't live with a policy of allowing copyright violations.
>We have to grow up and get beyond that stage.

Since the inception of the MBone, there has been an "unwritten" policy to limit all "music" broadcasts to the Radio Free Vat session. Once again this is to insure that everyone who wants to use the bandwidth can by scheduling it. Right now, since RT-FM is running 24 hours a day, other people who want to transmit on Radio Free Vat are being stepped on, degrading the level of quality for everyone. This isn't about copyright violations.

I know that I'm not alone in having to fight with our local people here to secure and keep MBone access at our site. The main concern is that the MBone swamps our local network, which it does from time to time. Everytime this happens, I have to explain that the MBone is for the greater good in the long run, but it's getting harder everyday as the average level of MBone traffic keeps ratcheting upwards.

Someday, all these problems will go away when we can up the bandwidth, but until then, we have to realize the MBone is experimental and that you can affect a lot more people then you realize.

Steve

Stephen Lau lau@ai.sri.com| "No, no, not Orwellian, HUXLEY! SRI International | Brave New World." 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA. 94025| - George Coates, "Box Conspiracy: (415) 859-2925 (415) 326-6200| An Interactive Sho" http://www.ai.sri.com/people/lau.html |