Re: URGENT: Please STOP Mailbombs (fwd)
bullet bullet
  • To: Carl Malamud <carl@radio.com>
  • Subject: Re: URGENT: Please STOP Mailbombs (fwd)
  • From: "Randall W. Robinson" <rrobinso@quark.arc.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 08:04:37 -0800 (PST)
bullet bullet

On Tue, 27 Dec 1994, Carl Malamud wrote:

> He sent 4500 messages from a government account which
> he used for personal purposes. May I suggest you investigate
> your user and not us?
>
> for According to Randall W. Robinson:

In fact, we are going to investigate this user, however, using a government resource for personal purposed is not specifically illegal. And, as part of any investigation, we must also interview the witnesses and victoms.

The regs. (FiPS Pub) state that any Automated Data Processing (ADP) resource held by the US Government is for offical use. Determination of offical use and/or acceptable use has been delegated to each agency. NASA has delegated ADP management to each center. This center's management instruction states that acceptable use includes certain personal activities, such as: In formal communications with co-workers, to harvest or maintain working relations; Communications with family member; Communications with outside professionals, for coordinating personal activities, such as, scheduling an appointment; etc. And, it specfically prohibits activities that interfere with normal work and any "for profit" activities.

Since Mr. Tran's actions do not fall into the later catagory, his actions are not illegal under any acceptable use policy.

But, harassment, in any form, is not acceptable, and I believe the messages sent by his address are harassment, and posibly actionable.

In order to build a case of this type, you must first determine legal standing. This is why I needed to understand your definition of illegal.

Also, I noted no information about the content of the messages sent. If it had contained any harassing statements, it could be of help.

Also, I was hoping that you could determine if this is an actual mailbombing, or just a simple run-away mailer.

Sincerely,

Randall W. Robinson Manager, Information Services NASA Ames Research Center

Follow-Ups: bullet