IP czar to law pro: I'll rip your throat out (fwd)
bullet bullet bullet bullet

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 06:19:15 -0800 From: David H. Rothman <rothman@clark.net> To: Multiple recipients of list <cni-copyright@cni.org> Subject: IP czar to law pro: I'll rip your throat out

First Amendment fans might look at http://www.clark.net/pub/rothman/update6.htm. Turns out that Bruce Lehman threatened an uppity professor at American University who had written a Washington Times piece attacking the beloved White Paper.

Among other things Lehman said he could hurt James Boyle behind his back and stop him from winning tenure.

Lehman threatened to rip out Boyle's throat and "destroy" him, according to a letter that the Times attributed to Boyle.

Ah--the IP Czar as a larger-than-life, Shakespearean character! Perhaps he's even pulling a Nixon and keeping an enemies list.

Curious why the White Paper approach is so disrespectful of the First Amendment? Well, the mindset of Bill Clinton's IP czar just might be a factor here.

With Commerce fighting for its life--and I myself hope the department survives--does it really need Bruce Lehman working so hard to justify our worst fears about Washington?

-David Rothman http://www.clark.net/pub/rothman/networld.htm Author, NetWorld! (Prima, 1996) | "A one-writer, cost-effective book done on less than 100th the advance of The Road Ahead"