PTO debacle
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Carl,

I sent the following e-mail message to Ron Brown. If there are better ways of reaching him, or I can do anything else to help, let me know.

Good luck!

Bill Reuter FTC:WATCH NPC member ftcwatch@dgs.dgsys.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 12:59:06 -0500 (EST) From: FTCWatch <ftcwatch@DGS> To: rbrown@doc.gov Subject: Internet Multicasting Service

Dear Mr. Brown:

I write today to ask that you restore free access of PTO records to Carl Malamud of the Internet Multicasting Service. The services Carl provides are valuable and go a long way in accomplishing goals set out by Vice President Al Gore: to put information in the hands of the people. *ALL* the people.

Vice President Gore has cautioned against creating a society of technology "have and have nots." By restricting Carl's access to PTO data, your agency is perpetuating the very system which our own vice president -- and, presumambly the administration under which you work -- has vowed to fight against.

As a member of the National Press Club I can personnally attest to the fine work Carl has done in efforts to connect everyone to the Internet. Carl has a genuine goal of connecting as many people as possible to as wide a variety of information as possible. I sincerly hope your agency will not construct roadblocks to that goal.

Bill Reuter FTC:WATCH ftcwatch@dgs.dgsys.com