Dongchimi (Radich Liquid Kimchi)
The liquid kimchi is made a few weeks before they make the stocks of winter kimchi. The
liquid part is especially attractive and makes anyone feel refreshed. It goes well with the
Korean rice breads, or with Korean wines. Alsi it can make an excellent sauce for noodles.
Added by items like leaf mustard, young scallion, fermented chilies and Korean pear, it can
make an even better liquid kimchi.
Materials(makes for four) and Precooking
|| choose smaller ones which are fresh and solid. Remove the rootlets and wash clean. Roll in salt and put in a pot. Scatter more salt over them. Let sit overnight.
|| wash clean and slice into halves, without peeling.
|| clean and wash. Salt lightly and squeeze out water. Gather 2 or 3 sheaths together and roll.
|| select green leaves. Clean and wash. Salt lightly and squeeze out water. Grap 1 head and roll.
|| ferment in salted water for a week. Drain.
|| wash clean and drain.
garlic and ginger
|| clean and wash. Cut into thin slices and wrap with a small piece of cloth.
- Some of the materials and most of the wares actually needed are not included in the
materials list, assuming they are readily available in any home.
- Metric values are approximated into pounds and inches, as they are not absolutes.
- Add 2 cups of salt to 40 cups of water. Filter to gather a clear salt water sauce.
- Put garlic and ginger in a cloth bag and place it at the bottom of a pot. Lay the salted
radish, and pile neatly in layer the fermented green chilies, then young scallion, pear and red
chilies. Pile the last layer with the leaf mustard and weight with a clean stone.
- Pour in the sauce and cover the lid. Let ferment.
[ Prev |